Thursday

Finding Rest



We don't rest very well when grieving. But God has made us promises about rest that we can believe in - that we can grasp hold of. Do we trust God when like the old hymn says, "the days grow weary, the long nights dreary?"

A few Bible verses are on my heart right now. The first is found in Isaiah 30:15. God says this to His people. "For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not."

God's strength is available to us. What we need to do is be quiet before Him and have confidence in the Lord. When we return to him and rest, He will help us. God is waiting for us to come to Him.

Many nights after my first husband died I would cry myself to sleep. Sometimes I wouldn't sleep at all. But God wants to give His children rest. He tells us to come to Him in Matthew 11:28. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

So how can we rest when we're mentally, emotionally, and physically weak? Ask the Lord to help you. He promises He will. In fact the Lord says this in the very next verse in Matthew, verse 29: "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

Sometimes when I can't sleep I will read my Bible. The Lord calms my heart and even in the midst of a storm, He reminds me He cares. I can trust Him.

How about you? Are you willing to trust the One who gave His life to save you? Come to Jesus. He will give you rest - a rest that reaches into the depths of your soul.

I'm praying for you!

In Christ's love,
Susan