Saturday

The Right Amount of Time

"Mom, if I just had one more day with Grammy..."

"God gave us just the right amount of time with Grammy, hon."

"But if I had one more day..." My eight-year-old son's eyes welled up with tears.

I sat on the edge of his bed and smoothed his hair from his forehead. He lay his head back onto his pillow.

"What would you do with that day?"

"I would tell her I love her and spend time with her."

"But you did those things while she was here on earth. And you will see her again one day in Heaven. God promises us we'll all be together one day in Heaven - all who know Jesus as their personal Savior."

"I know, but I want to see her now. I want to go to Heaven."

Cupping my son's chin, I leaned over and kissed his cheek. "I know it's hard missing Grammy. I miss her too. I love her too. She was my Grandmom, my Nanna. But God's ways are always right and when He says it's time to go home to Heaven, that is the right time. God makes that decision, not us. He knows what's best because He is good. He is always good."

I stood up to leave my son's room. My son grasped my hand. I squeezed his hand in reassurance.

"It's time to go to sleep now, hon. There's still work for us to do here and we need our sleep. When God says it's time to go home to Heaven, it's the right time, whether we're young or old. Grammy would want you to know that. I want you to know that."

I looked at my son's face. The night-light next to his bed cast a soft glow across his room.  My son pulled the covers up to his neck and turned to his side, snuggling deep into his pillow.

"Good night, my sweetheart. I love you. I'll see you in the morning."