Tuesday

Where's the Good?

Have you ever wondered what good has come out of the tragic loss of your loved one?

I have.

In fact, I recently had someone ask me that question after I shared my personal story at a women's breakfast. As soon as I walked out of the church sanctuary, she asked to speak with me. She told me her son had died in an accident the day before his wedding. The conversation continued something like this.

"Tell me, what good came out of your husband's death? He seemed like a good man; a godly man." I knew she was talking about my reference to Romans 8:28 and the truth that all things work together for good to those who love God. "People tell me good will come out of this. I don't see it."

There are no easy answers to such a pain-filled question. I've cried out to God many times wondering the same thing. I took a deep breath and tried to give her comfort with the same words of life that God has comforted me.

"We don't always know God's ways," I said. "But as we get to know God better through the Bible, we learn that we can trust Him."

"Yes," she answered. "But what good came out of it?"

This woman was hurting. Part of me knew that any answer I would give her at that moment wouldn't be good enough. I've learned that when I am hurting, the only way I've found rest and peace is by turning my eyes back on my Savior Jesus Christ.

"I don't know all the ways God is working this out for good, but I've had many opportunities to share Jesus Christ with people. People need to know that they can have a home in Heaven that lasts forever when they trust Jesus as their personal Savior."

I watched her face drop. I didn't want to keep heaping her with words she wasn't ready to hear. So I left her with this thought. It is where God by the leading of the Holy Spirit takes me when I begin to question His ways.

"I've learned I can trust God because God is always good, no matter what happens. I may not see this side of Heaven the good that God is working, but I know that I can trust Him."

"I guess it comes back to trust, doesn't it?" she replied.
Trusting God was the key point of my talk at this women's breakfast.

My heart ached for this woman in her pain. "Yes," I answered. "I suppose it does."

In preparing my message, I looked up the definition of trust in the dictionary. Trust is: "An assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone." I told the women’s group that in my pain I have chosen to place my confidence, my trust in God.

I believe the key to finding peace in our pain is by simply trusting our Father God. Some may say that's a pat answer, or a simple answer to a difficult question. But it is the only answer that has given me peace.

Are you ready to fully trust God? It all starts with a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.

If you don't have that assurance of a personal relationship with God today, you can. Accept the truth that God loves you and that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross to save you from your sin. Believe in your heart that Jesus died and rose again from the dead to save you from your sin and give you a home in Heaven. Confess with your mouth that you need Jesus as your personal Savior. Ask Jesus to come into your heart and your life.

A-B-C: Accept, Believe, Confess - It's that easy. Jesus has done all the work and paid the price for you. He loves you. Won't you trust Him today?

The Bible says in Jeremiah 17:7, "Blessed (or happy) is the man who trusts in the LORD, And whose hope is LORD."

Remember, I care about you and I am praying for you. God knows your name. And if you would like to write to me personally, my email address is in the sidebar. Please put in the subject line, "Anna's Place" so I can be looking for you. I don't have all the answers, but I can point you to the One who does, Jesus Christ.

With love,
Susan Kelly Skitt